Tuesday 28 April 2009

ScholarSHIP!

So I can reveal all.

On the train to London the other week I had a call from my professor telling me that if I wanted I could attempt to apply for funding for my MSc course, with a view to doing a PhD. I'd done my research around this before, it is from a council called the ESRC and is uber-competitive. I'd have to run like Joe to even stand a chance. Given I was relatively late in applying, I had to compose a thesis by Friday. So, on 3 hours sleep I got cracking on Thursday with a somewhat ironic thesis title of "The Economics of Problem Gambling." I then had a meeting on Fri which resulted in a 5 hour re-edit + a ton of reading over the weekend, in order for it to be completed.

On Monday I then went onto campus as per to do some work / figured I would have to fill out some paperwork and start completing the personal statement, expectations, goals etc boxes that you get on these forms. Sure enough, I had an email saying go to see a lady and get stuff signed. I get ran through what I need to sign etc, and also get told I have a conditional PhD place (provided I perform well in my MSc), handy! I am then instructed to go and see another lady about filling out forms for the ESRC stuff.

Well this is where it gets good. I walk in, she shakes my hand and congratulates me. Confused, I ask her why, and also confused she replies that I am the nominated candidate for the UEA Economics ESRC Studentship! So I wasn't applying to be considered at all, I'd already been shortlisted and picked. Val!

Of course there was a still alot to do, I had to register with the ESRC and re-edit the thesis etc, you would not believe their application system (is more confusing than parts of my degree), but about 2 hours ago I submitted my application into the pool.

This does not mean, however, that I definately have it - the ESRC still have to review my case - but I have been told I have nothing to worry about as the rejection % is low and I'm a very strong candidate anyway.

The studentship itself is a 1+3 award, so I will get full fees and a generous living expenses allowance for the next 4 years. In the immortal words of Jeal, I run too far!


So, thats my news. Had a mini celebration last week with the family + Hannah, when(if!) I get full conformation I will be definately having some sort of night out, will let you know.

Now back to revision :(

-Adam

1 comment:

  1. Full fees and 'generous' living expenses? That's worth a holla in anyone's book. GGWP.
    Keep safe, SG

    ReplyDelete